February 11, 2016

Ode to My Father 국제시장 2014- South Korea

In 2014, Ode to My Father (국제시장), directed by Youn Je-Kyun, was released in South Korea. At the time of its release it had mixed reviews and even came upon some controversy claiming the film tried to idealize the authoritarian rule of the past. However, that did not stop this movie from climbing the ladder of success, where it sits as the 2nd highest grossing film in all of South Korean cinema history. Most of its success comes from the nostalgic feeling the movie gives off which attracted many older generations to revisit a time they once lived in. Director Youn even claimed most of the film was a tribute to his father, using his actual parents names for the two protagonists. Director Youn was quoted saying, "I hope the film serves as the channel for communication between the old and young generation," and I believe it does just that.

 Ode to My Father is a heartbreaking story that follows the life of an ordinary man, Yoon Deok-soo, played by Hwang Jung-min (Veteran) from 1950s Korea to present day. For those viewers out there who cry easily (like myself), this is a film where you need to keep some kleenexes nearby. From the first scene in the film to the last, my eyes were not dry. I believe the film pulls on heartstrings so easily, because a lot of scenarios in the film come from real South Korean history. Certain scenarios including the Hungnam Evacuation of 1950 during the Korean War, the government's decision to dispatch nurses and miners to Germany in the 1960s, the Vietnam War, and reuniting separated families in the 1980s, were all real events. 

While I was watching the film, I couldn't help but feel a similarity in the storyline to the 1994 American film, Forrest Gump. Though the emotions of these two films are on completely different sides of the spectrum, I found similarity in the fact that the audience is taken back and forth between present day and the past of our protagonist's life. We learn about his childhood, his teenage years, how he meets the love of his life etc. He also seems to be involved in every major event possible, with probably the worst luck of anyone I have ever seen. Though Forrest Gump is a comedy, the way the storyline flows is similar. I believe Ode to My Father  was greatly influenced by this film during the the early stages of its creation.


"My father passed away when I was in college and I didn't have a chance to say thank you," Director Youn had express about the film's meaning. I believe he did a wonderful job in expressing this emotion. Aside from the audience following a man through his life, with the flashbacks and the fast forwards, the audience is able to see Deok-soo grow as a character. We begin to learn why,as an old man, he believes things should be done a certain way. We also begin to see how he sacrificed his life and dream to support his family, who many times seem to come off as not appreciating or understanding their grandfather's tendencies. 
The pain is very evident not only in our protagonist, who can not let go of the fact that he loses his father at an early age, but also as from an outsider's perspective. Deok-soo has never been appreciated from his family or thanked for everything he gave up for them. The ending scene breaks hearts. I do no want to give it away, but I must make a comment on how beautiful the scene is set up. The audience sees two very different emotional scenes playing out onscreen, hardly separated. Even though the film is a huge tear jerker, I absolutely loved it and I loved being able to learn more about historical events in South Korea.  


Check out the trailer for Ode to My Father below, and check out the film on Netflix!


If you have yet to do so...find Lights, Camera, Asia on YOUTUBE
What other East Asian films are tear jerkers? Let us know in the comments below!
Don't forget to like us on FACEBOOK
Please subscribe here to stay up to date on latest posts!



Enjoy 
W








2 comments: