July 15, 2016

Hard Boiled (辣手神探) 1992- Hong Kong


The Most Action-Packed Film of All-Time.
More exciting than a dozen DIE HARDS.

HARD BOILED (辣手神探)(1992) marks the fifth collaboration from actor Yun-Fat Chow and director John Woo in this action-packed story about a tough-as-nails cop who goes undercover to take down two opposing gangs smuggling guns into Hong Kong. 

This stunning film is John Woo’s masterpiece, in my opinion. Peppered with all his usual trademarks- fast-paced, masterfully choreographed action scenes, slow motion sequences, a gun in each hand, smooth mellow Jazz, and of course characters tossing a gun to one another.

Filmed over the course of 123 days, this movie displays some of the most stylish, and intricate action scenes captured on film, EVER; including an intense gun battle inside a hospital that covers two floors and filmed in one long take lasting 2 min 43 sec. 


This was the first Asian John Woo film I saw and it blew my mind. The level of detail and style was something I had never seen before in American action films, I was hooked. Woo’s use of slow motion is some of the best I’ve seen. Mixed with fast editing, multiple camera angles, and eye-catching cinematography this film introduced my to a style in cinema that I didn’t know existed. If you’re a fan of action-dense films I highly recommend HARD BOILED, it ranks at the top of my list right next to Terminator 2. 

What is your favorite Hong Kong action film? Let us know in the comments below :)
Follow us on twitter @lightscamerasia!

Make sure to subscribe to us on YOUTUBE and like us on FACEBOOK
Please subscribe here to stay up to date on latest posts!

Xander

No comments:

Post a Comment